June 12, 2021

Solskjaer admits Man Utd are “second best” as he doubles down on transfer plan

3 min read
Spread the love

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has sent a pointed message to Manchester United’s owners, claiming they “can’t sit back” this summer.

The Norwegian guided United to their joint-best finish since Sir Alex Ferguson left the post in 2013.

But despite finishing as Premier League runners-up, they were still some distance behind eventual champions Manchester City.

Solskjaer has honestly admitted his side were very much second best and that improvements to the squad must be made.

Speaking after the Europa League final defeat to Villarreal last month, the United boss confirmed he would be looking to strengthen the starting XI after falling short in 2020/21.



Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spoke honestly following his side's Europa League final defeat
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spoke honestly following his side’s Europa League final defeat

“I’ve been delighted with the effort, the desire, the determination of all of the players, I can’t fault them at all,” Solskjaer said in Gdansk. “We’ve probably done as well as anyone could imagine.

“But as I said, two or three players to strengthen the starting XI and the squad all together is important for us to go even further.

“I’m sure our contenders or challengers will also want to improve and we want to improve as much as we can.”

And now in an interview with TV2 , he has again urged those in charge to carry out his plan to strengthen the squad.

“We are second best, but too far behind to threaten those who won. Then we have to strengthen ourselves,” he explained.

Solskjaer confirmed that there will definitely be some moves made in the upcoming window, despite still feeling the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.



Solskjaer has said Man Utd can't sit back this summer
Solskjaer has said Man Utd can’t sit back this summer

How many players do Man Utd need to sign this summer? Let us know in the comments below

“Of course, something will happen in the transfer window,” he continued. “The world has become very different than 15-16 months ago, but we have to make some moves on the transfer window, but also with the team.

“It is never possible to sit back. You are constantly looking for reinforcements.

“Football is dynamic, so unexpected things can happen such as injuries, illness, something familiar or that someone wants to move.

“You have to take everything possible into consideration and reflection. I will never sit down and think that ‘now the team is the way I want it to be’, because you always see some other players or other teams doing something you want.”

Speaking earlier this year, under-fire owner Joel Glazer suggested he would be willing to back the manager, as he looks to rebuild bridges following the backlash to the Super League.

“Our top priority is, and will always be, competing for the most important trophies, playing entertaining football with a team comprised of top-quality recruits and some of the world’s best homegrown talent.

“Under Ole, we feel we are absolutely on the right track,” the statement read.

“Success on the field must be underpinned by solid foundations off it. We have supported sustained investment in the team over many years, and that will continue this summer.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *