However, under intense pressure to leave from Barcelona, and given the need to play regularly before the World Cup, Dest is re-evaluating his options before the transfer window closes on Thursday.
But sources explain even if Dest gives the green light to the move, the financial side of the deal still requires some work on both Barca and Villarreal’s side. Staying at Barca has not been ruled out.
Manchester United would have been his preferred destination and a reunion with former Ajax coach Erik ten Hag but the pieces have not fallen into place for a move to Old Trafford.
“Aaron will stay in, so we will go [with this squad] from September to minimum January,” Ten Hag said in a news conference.
ESPN reported earlier this summer that Xavi Hernandez told Dest he would not feature regularly under him this season.
Despite having no other natural right-backs at his disposal, the Barca coach has said he prefers Ronald Araujo, Jules Kounde and Sergi Roberto there. Barca are also in the market for a new right-back.
Dest, 21, originally stated that he wanted to stay and fight for his place but after being left out of the squad for the first three games of the season has been forced to rethink his stance.