Boxing

Jake Paul finds unlikely ally in Michael Bisping as UFC legend defends YouTuber

Jake Paul has been defended by previous call-out subject Michael Bisping after he was criticised for not taking “tough” fights, with the Brit highlighting the sport can be dangerous

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Jake Paul admits Tommy Fury fight cancellation cost him “millions”

Jake Paul has received unlikely backing from Michael Bisping, who believes the YouTube star is doing the right thing by not accepting dangerous fights.

The UFC legend has traded heated words with Paul on multiple occasions in the past and was called out for a boxing fight by the American last month. Bisping was in talks to face Paul last year but negotiations broke down, despite the Brit confirming he would share the ring with the YouTuber if he can get licensed.

Bisping believes Paul is being smart in his fight selection and claims the rise of other influencers and celebrities in boxing could become dangerous. “Lots of people now, they want to do it. All kind of celebrities want to box,” Bisping said during a video on his YouTube channel.

“Yes, Jake Paul. Of course, Jake Paul, he’s boxing people these days but he’s being smart. He’s not looking for tough fights, is he? I don’t blame the guy because it’s very, very dangerous. It’s not for everybody.

“You have to be cut from a certain type of cloth. Me, I feel I was born to be a fighter and I leaned into that persona. Jake Paul, I am not trying to talk s*** about the guy, he is a decent athlete and boxer and it was a beautiful knockout of Tyron Woodley. This isn’t about him but it is about the masses.”

Paul has announced his return to the boxing ring for August 6, where he will fight in his sixth professional outing. An opponent is yet to be announced but the likes of UFC legend Anderson Silva and Tommy Fury are expected to be in the running. So far in his career, Paul is yet to face a boxer with a natural background in the sport, having beaten former UFC fighters Ben Askren and Tyron Woodley, YouTuber AnEson Gib and former basketball star Nate Robinson.

However, he is making a significant impact on combat sports and has called out some of the biggest names, including Canelo Alvarez and Conor McGregor. Paul previously took aim at Bisping and called for him to sign a contract to face him in the ring. The UFC legend then later claimed he could get the fight licensed with the Tsuut’ina Combat Sports Commission and was willing to take the call.

Who do you think Jake Paul should fight on August 6? Let us know in the comments section below.

Jake Paul hasn’t fought since defeating Tyron Woodley in December
(

Image:

Getty Images)

Paul, 25, later stated his call-out was silly but believes he would easily knock out Bisping, 43, if the pair did touch gloves. “I didn’t see that,” he said. “But I also think it’s a silly call-out, it’s an easy fight for me, it’s a one-round fight with an old guy.

“But here’s the thing about me, if someone talks s***, I have to f*** them up. You see, I have a f***ing problem in my head. If someone talks s***, let’s f***ing settle it in the ring, let’s see if you’re really ’bout that or if you’re just talking on Twitter.”

Read More

Read More




Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Pinterest